You might have heard it before, but building an email list right when you start a blog or an online business is one of the most important steps you can take.
This article contains affiliate links, which means we make a commission if you decide to buy through them. This comes at no bigger cost to you but it helps us continue to create content.
- If your traffic comes from Google, based on SEO, then algorithm changes can ruin your blog or online business overnight. It has happened in the past, and it will happen again. People that had hundreds of thousands of visits per month woke up one day with all the traffic gone because of an algorithm update.
- If you have a big following on one or more social media platforms, those can also be gone. You never know what might happen in the future. Just look at Facebook: lately, it has been in a lot of trouble over illegal behavior, and the future of the giant is uncertain. Another good example is how Tik Tok came in and changed the game, dethroning Instagram. In terms of numbers, Instagram may still be doing better, but more, and more people are switching platforms. Instagram isn’t as exciting anymore now that we have Tik Tok. And one day, another platform will appear which will take over Tik Tok’s power. My point is, if your business has traffic and clients because you are on a certain platform, that might one day crumble and leave you with nothing. Why? Because you don’t own it. You might have followers, but if the platform has legal trouble and changes its terms or even worse, shuts down, you’ll lose everything.
So why should you build an email list right from the bat? Because you own it. For example, you can always switch email subscription providers and you won’t lose any subscribers. You can’t just take your Instagram followers and upload them to Tik Tok, can you? But with your email list, you’ll always have the certainty that you can access your audience.
But how do you build an email list?
There are more tactics, and I’ll talk today about some of the best ones. It depends on your type of business and how much time you have to put into it. All of them can be achieved successfully quite fast though, with some not even needing revisions. You just set up your form and do your thing, not having to worry about it ever again.
Add a subscription form on your homepage
This might sound like a no brainer, but a lot of people skip this step. I’ve been in the situation of wanting to subscribe to an email list, but the website made it hard for me to do so. It shouldn’t be hard for people to subscribe. They should have the option exactly where they expect it the most: on your home page. Usually, the email subscription box is added at the end of the page, right before the footer. You can add it in the middle or any other place you might find it fit. Just make sure it’s there.
Add a pop up with a free gift
Yes, sometimes people love your content so much that they are willing to subscribe without the need for any persuasion. Most of the time though, people build their email list by offering something in return for a visitor’s email. For example, you might write a short e-book for your niche and offer it as a free gift when people subscribe to your email list.
It shouldn’t be hard to do so. These types of e-books have under 30 pages. You could write an article of around 1300 words and then design it for free in Canva, a graphic design platform used to create social media graphics, presentations, posters, documents, and other visual content. The platform is beginner friendly, you won’t need graphic skills to create your e-book. Their elements are drag and drop and it shouldn’t take you more than a few hours to finish it.
Once you have your e-book, add a popup on your website offering the e-book in echage for their email. The pop up should sound something like this: Get our free e-book of 10 steps on how to build an online business. People will add their name and their email, subscribe to your list and voila: you have a new email subscriber.
To do this, go to your dashboard of your email subscription provider of choice and set up an email list and a popup. Once people subscribe to said list, they will automatically receive an email with the e-book you promised.
Prepare a giveaway
People like free stuff, we all know it. If you are planning on selling your own products, for example, you could give away one in exchange for the email. It could be an e-book, a 1 on 1 consultation over the phone, or in person. It could be a course you created or even something physical. You decide. This could be a good idea for a business owner because you’d attract people that are already interested in your niche. Which means that in the future, they will be more willing to pay for the products you’ll promote.
For bloggers, you could offer coupons, a certain amount of money, or any other price you’d like. The possibilities are endless.
Once you have enough new email subscribers, you’ll just have to pick one and offer the promised prize.
How to start an email list
Now, if you don’t have an email subscription provider yet, I would like to present you Constant Contact. A platform made specifically for bloggers and small online business owners.
Their services are designed in perfect accordance with everyone’s needs. It doesn’t matter if you are just starting out and aren’t too tech orientated. Constant Contact (learn more about them HERE) has everything you’ll ever need to build an email list, and they let you do so with extremely attractive prices at just $20 per month, or with great discounts if paid for six months or a year! They also offer a FREE TRIAL that you can access through THIS LINK so you can test their services without having to pay.
CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED, then click on the “START YOUR FREE TRIAL MONTH” button on the left. This will take you to a page where you’ll have to pick your number of subscribers and give your details.
For beginners, 500 subscribers are the right number and your ideal target. Select that, then pick your paying choice. You get monthly, at $20, for six months with a 10% discount and your first month free at $90, or for a year at $187 with a 15% discount and your first month free. You know your budget so it is totally up to you how you want to spend your money on your business. The only important thing to mention is that having an email list is a must-have if you want to own a successful blog or online business.
Once you registered, you’ll get access to many useful tools and tips for your email marketing strategy that we talked about earlier. Get to building your list!
Last words on Constant Contact and why it’s the best platform you could use for your email marketing:
- They offer a free trial, which means you get the option to test all their tools for free before deciding to stay with them. (Which I advise you do)
- They offer unlimited emails with every plan. Keeping in touch with your subscribers is important, something that other email subscription providers don’t seem to understand, or maybe they just want to make more money on your back. While with other platforms you run out of email pretty fast and you must pay more to continue to send email, Constant Contact lets you send as many as you want, with no limits. This is extremely important when you just started promoting a new product or affiliate link. Putting your products in front of your audience constantly gives you the chance to make more money, something you should never lose sight of.
- It’s beginner friendly. You don’t need to be too tech-savvy to use this platform. You can start in just a few minutes since they guide you through every step without issues.
- They offer all the tools and audience insights you could possibly need to start and develop a successful blog or online business.
- They have email templates for you, ready to use which means you can craft a beautifully branded email in just a few minutes without too much headache.
- They also have social media integrations for the biggest platforms out there which will let you promote all your accounts and attract a bigger audience.
- They have an extremely serious refund policy so you don’t have to worry about your money if you aren’t satisfied. But you will be!